Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Longboard










Recently I decided I wanted to do a body of work, that would include longboarders as my subject. You know how I told you to put your own twist on things... well in this series I decided I wouldn't include the heads of my subjects. The reasoning behind this was I wanted to give the feel that each longboarder is different. Not because they look different but because they all have there own style, their own character, and there own body language.

When I was shooting this series I obviously didn't know most of these people and had to ask them if it would be okay to take there picture. Of course everyone let me take their pictures, because people love having there picture taken. Although it is important to be polite and courteous to your subjects (just a little manners lesson). But lets get down to the mechanics of this series... most of these were shot between 7 and 9 PM. While in search of longboarders I kept my shutter speed at around 180th of a second (so I could stop motion pretty well) and my f-stop at 16. It was pretty bright so in this situation, so i would want to decrease the amount of light hitting my film, that way I don't over expose my image. The best way to do that is to use a smaller aperture setting/higher f-stop number. On the lens I was using the f-stops ranged from 5.6 (biggest aperture) to 22 (smallest aperture). If you want to learn more about aperture go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aperture.

2 comments:

  1. This was a great series Audge. I'm so impressed with your abilities, constantly!

    ReplyDelete