Thursday, June 25, 2009

Series



This was first time I did a photo shoot for someone other than my self. I took pictures of my brother Jake's family and this is his little girl. She's around one year old in these pictures and I think this was the first time she had gone out in the snow. The series above is representing the fist time she had tasted snow. 

Often photographers use a body of work or a series to get a certain point across. Now for this to be affective there needs to be some kind of common theme. If there isn't a theme what is the difference between you body of work and a bunch of random pictures. A series brings different strengths to the table. It can make what your trying to say much more obvious or it can help show a chain of events. One of the things I think a series establishes is change. The change from one picture to another is more evident and gets people thinking about how these changes occur. I also think that a series can do quite the opposite and show the consistency of something. An example may be shooting different baseball diamonds around the United States. They are all going to have the same basic structure. So if you have a point you want to get across, maybe think about using a series a tool.

If you want to check out a couple examples of series go ahead and check out these links (I really like Noah)...

4 comments:

  1. That is such a great set of pictures!! You can definitely see changes in each one. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww i love it!!! you are a really good photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great pics. I loved the sawse site & noah was cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is one cute girl! and her first taste of snow was captured perfectly b/c of you :)

    ReplyDelete