Thursday, June 4, 2009

I Wear My Sunglasses...

In photography a lot of the time a photo reflects on how the photographer is feeling or represents something important to them. In this photo I wanted to capture something simple. To keep the simplicity of the photo I decide to make it monochromatic (dealing mostly with one color) and to have my subject be every day things (sunglasses and blue jeans). Another thing I wanted to do is subtly incorporate myself into the picture. If you look at the lens that Geri's finger is on, you can see me in the reflection.

Sometimes photographers want bring them selves into the photo by a reflection, shadow, or simply taking a picture of them selves. This is something that always intrigues me because as a photographer you spend the majority of your time time taking photos behind the camera. Most of the time the only way to represent yourself is to photograph something that represents you or how you see things. Photography is a way to show other people how you see things, and can be a very personal thing.

Yesterday I learned about a photographer named Sam Abell. He was a photographer for National Geographic for over 30 years. He stated working for them having never taken a photography class before. Something that I really appreciated that he did was that he didn't alter his photos with a flash, a filter or anything. His photos are very true to life and that is his style. If you like really down to earth photos check out his web site. My favorite is the one with the woman in a blue rob (it's his wife). He has a small summary about each photo and they show how personal they are to him.

4 comments:

  1. I'm excited to look at this guy's photos....great shot my dear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audge u have such amazing talent, I can't wait to see pics from when u climb mount everest or go to a dig site in South Ameria that discovers more about the nephites and lamanites haha I can see it now. ur pictures in an article talking about the cloud warriors in South America lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just showed this image to dad haha, it took him forever to see ur reflection

    ReplyDelete