Sunday, June 21, 2009

Portraits



If you ever wondered what my beautiful model Geri looked like, well here is your chance to check her out. This photo was taken in July of 2008.
The word portrait has a couple different meanings to a photographer. It can either mean your subject is a person or that the picture is taller than it is wide. This image is  an example of both.

When you think of a portrait most people think of a picture of a person against a tree or with a cool gray background. This is not always the case and I encourage you to branch out a little. When making a portrait it can be very effective to capture a person while they are doing some of their most natural behaviors. Here are a couple more examples of portraits I've taken...

This was among my first successful images. I took this picture in high school. This is my dad, I took this picture while he was talking to someone, he didn't even notice.

This image is of my beautiful cousin Rachel. She was so kind to let me take pictures of her throughout the day so I could a capture a her in a little more down to earth image. Also this image is an example of using medium lighting (check out the "Light" post if you don't know what medium light means).

An example of these more natural portraits is the work of the photographer Catherine Opie. If you check out her web site you can see a portrait of my sister Larkie. It's the 18th image (images 11-13, and 24 have some nudity in them just as a warning) I like the one of the football player holding his pads over his shoulder (image 7).

2 comments:

  1. this post was great! if you want to show some "skin" on your blog (like the Opie lady) I could send the pictures you took of the girls in heels and bloomers haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. great pics. again, more very helpful info for me in taking pics of my family. rachel looks so beautiful in that pic & I love the one of your dad.

    ReplyDelete