Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Bouldering

This image isn't one of my higher quality images, but that is okay by me because it is the idea behind it that I like. For my color photo class my current assignment is a photo journal of meaningful photos. Any one can just snap a photo but not everyone thinks about what they want to say in there photos. In this photo I wanted to represent a new found love in my life... bouldering.
This photo involved a lot of techniques coming together:
1)Positioning your camera
-To take this photo I had to find a rock or something that I could trust would keep my camera steady. Also this rock position had to allow me to see through the camera so I could know where I was shooting (I don't own a tripod).
2)Focusing
-This time focusing wasn't as easy as it always is. I had to guess where my body would be and hope it would be in pretty good focus. Reason being I wouldn't be able to stand behind the camera and see the fine details. So what I did was look at the rocks around the area where my body would approximately be and see if they were in focus.
3)Bracketing
-Bracketing is actually pretty easy. When your in a setting that is poorly lit (too bright or too dark) and your worried about getting a good exposure bracketing is the way to go. What it consists of is keeping one of your setting constant, shutter speed for example, while changing another, aperture(F-stop). Example- shutter speed 125th of a second, F-stop 11, and click. Next, shutter speed 125 still, F-stop 16, and click. Next, shutter speed 125, F-stop 8, and click. Just a reminder the lower your F-stop number the more light your letting in. Most modern day cameras have light meters so you don't have to do bracketing as much, but it is a good thing to know just incase that breaks.
4)Arm strength
-This wasn't the easiest self-portrait to take. This position took a little strength, especially since I had to do it a few times. Bouldering isn't easy, but that is why I like it because if it was then everyone would do it.



2 comments:

  1. I think this is my favorite photo you have ever taken! and you've taken some cute ones of my girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome picture! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete