Thursday, April 30, 2009

Cingular

The shorts in this photo are mine, I ripped them when I crashed on my longboard. I had my cellphone in my pocket at the time, so where my cellphone was was where they ripped. I still own these shorts and still remain as my favorite shorts. I want say special thanks to Geri Howe. Without her this picture would not have been possible. As you can see she is a fantastic model and you will see more of her in other photos. Thanks Geri

In this particular photo I was trying to demonstrate having a shallow depth of field. You probably noticed that most of the picture is out of focus, well shallow depth of field is when your trying to focus on only a small part of the photo, i.e. the ripped part of the pocket. The best why to create a small depth of field is to use a large aperture. Aperture is the hole on your camera that controls how much light comes in, much like the iris in your eye controls how much light comes in.

7 comments:

  1. I love when pictures focus in and leave the rest unfocused! good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feeling so jealous of you!!!!!!!!! I wish I could go back to college and take a class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. baaaaaby giirl!!! i miss you!! i'm SOO excited that your taking this class! good luck to you and i love you dearly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this shot. It's such a perfect ad for Cingular! Here's a thought. To demonstrate a greater depth of field whether shallow or deep, you'll want to incorporate some of the background. So try this same shot but move around your subject to get some of your background. Like a smidge of a street or park off to the right of the subject. That area will be completely out of focus and your Cingular phone will still be crisp and in focus, showing a greater dimension but still keeping a shallow DOF. I took a class just last semester and LOVED it! I'm so a follower on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Shay for all your comments! I love your suggestions and your positive reinforcement. Just to give everyone a little background on this blog I stated it for school. My teacher told us that our blogs needed to be informative, so that is why I give little tips after each picture. Well I hope you all continue to enjoy my blog.

    ReplyDelete